ALERTNOW is an automatic notification system that delivers voice, e-mail and text messages. Parents receive important information, such as emergency notifications and other school news — if the district has your correct household contact information.
Each student name can be associated with two email addresses and up to five telephone numbers. One telephone number is designated as the primary household number. The primary number is the only number called for non-emergency messages.
What you need to know about receiving calls from ALERTNOW:
- Be sure to say “Hello” when you answer the phone. The technology must hear a voice to deliver the message.
- Caller ID will display a 411 if the message is for an emergency.
- Caller ID will display either the division number (434-977-7016) or a school’s main number when a general announcement is delivered.
- Non-emergency messages will only be delivered to the phone number designated as a primary household number.
- Emergency or crisis messages will be delivered to all phone numbers identified in the student system, including cell and work phone numbers.
- ALERTNOW will leave a message on any answering machine or voicemail.
At this time, ALERTNOW will NOT be used when schools close all day or open late due to inclement weather. However, it may be used for unforeseen early dismissals.
Delivery of information depends upon accurate contact information for each student. To update your information, fill out this ALERTNOW Update Form, sign it, and return it to your child’s school office.
If you have questions about the automatic notification system, please e-mail David.Uhlig@ccs.k12.va.us or call your school office for information.