School Board Info
Meeting agendas, related documents, and minutes are available online via the Electronic School Board at esbpublic.ccs.k12.va.us.
School Boards make the policies that govern a school division. The Charlottesville City School Board is made up of seven members who are elected to at-large seats. School board members are elected to four-year staggered terms in November. The chairperson and vice-chairperson are elected by the entire board annually.
Duties of the School Board include:
- Setting policy for the school division
- Hiring and evaluating the superintendent
- Approving a budget to meet the financial needs of the school division
- Approving the annual school calendar and school operating times
- Determining school boundaries
Charlottesville residents are encouraged to attend Board meetings and to address the Board with thoughts and suggestions. Each Board meeting has a public comment period at the beginning and end. Speakers are asked to limit comments to three minutes.
Residents may also send the School Board an email message (SchoolBoard@charlottesvilleschools.org) or a letter to: Charlottesville City School Board, 1562 Dairy Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903.